[На английском] Click: What Millions of People Are Doing Online and Why it Matters

Тема в разделе "Материалы по SEO", создана пользователем morfey2005, 28 окт 2008.

Статус темы:
Закрыта.
  1. morfey2005

morfey2005

Регистр.:
    30 янв 2008
    Симпатии:
    Click: What Millions of People Are Doing Online and Why it Matters
    By Bill Tancer
    [​IMG]

Publisher: Hyperion
    Number Of Pages: 240
    Publication Date: 2008-09-02
    ISBN-10 / ASIN: 1401323049
    ISBN-13 / EAN: 9781401323042
    Binding: Hardcover

Product Description:

What time of year do teenage girls search for prom dresses online? How does the quick adoption of technology affect business success (and how is that related to corn farmers in Iowa)? How do time and money affect the gender of visitors to online dating sites? And how is the Internet itself affecting the way we experience the world? In Click, Bill Tancer takes us behind the scenes into the massive database of online intelligence to reveal the naked truth about how we use the Web, navigate to sites, and search for information--and what all of that says about who we are.

As online directories replace the yellow pages, search engines replace traditional research, and news sites replace newsprint, we are in an age in which we've come to rely tremendously on the Internet--leaving behind a trail of information about ourselves as a culture and the direction in which we are headed. With surprising and practical insight, Tancer demonstrates how the Internet is changing the way we absorb information and how understanding that change can be used to our advantage in business and in life. Click analyzes the new generation of consumerism in a way no other book has before, showing how we use the Internet, and how those trends provide a wealth of market research nearly as vast as the Internet itself. Understanding how we change is integral to our success. After all, we are what we click.

Summary: Interesting for the Right Audiences
    Rating: 4

This book explores patterns of activity on the Internet, especially as revealed by search activity. It thereby shows how such data can be mined to gain insights into who is using the Internet, how they spend their time there, what they buy, demographic profiles, etc. Conversely, such research also gives insight into how the Internet is changing individuals and societies, thus showing the dialectical relationship between the Internet and its users/creators.

I found the book to do a good job in covering this terrain, and the author clearly has a passion for this topic. However, I did find that the book may be too detailed for the interests of many readers -- sometimes reading like a research report -- and thereby sometimes obscuring the broader trends that most readers would probably be interested in. I'm not suggesting that the book should be dumbed down, but I do think it would help to leave out the details which many readers may find tedious and boring, and instead emphasize the fun stuff, the psychological and sociological insights into ourselves which this type of Internet-based research can somewhat uniquely reveal.

The book is farily well written overall, and therefore not difficult to read but, again, the level of detail may be more than most readers want.

Overall, I recommend the book to anyone who is generally interested in how the Internet is changing the world. It would also be useful for readers interested in social science using the Internet as a data source.

Summary: Freakonomics for web developers and users
    Rating: 5

I'm beginning a new set of internet businesses to provide information to people and make money, and this book has been a major help in narrowing down the topics that will be of greatest value and the kinds of people and markets I can hope to reach.

In a conversational way, the author discusses some of the ways in which we use the web to find information, the different categories of info online and insights into how to best speak to those markets, and some general insights that are just plain interesting and fun to read about.

I'd recommend this for anyone who liked Freakonomics or anyone trying to market and work online.

Summary: Making Sense of Where the Web is Going and How we got Here...
    Rating: 4

In "CLICK," Bill Tancer examines significant trends in the use and evolution of the internet- as a communication tool, information source, influencer of culture, and means of socialization. There is a lot of information within this concise book- about trends in internet usage, as well as reaching and marketing to the population that increasingly turns to the web for many aspects of daily life.

The analysis is a bit dry in spots and the book would have benefitted from a bit more of a common thread of a narrative to tie it all together a little better, but overall it is an interesting and helpful read.

Summary: A Great Concept that Falls a Bit Short
    Rating: 2

I wanted to read this book because I run an online business and I really wanted to know more about what, why, and when individuals are searching online. I was hoping for information that would transcend very specific industries and perhaps be applicable to our business. I wanted a broader look at who is clicking and why, so that I could apply that information to improve our online advertising. In addition, I am fascinated by the internet and the infinite possibilities it offers those who embrace it and I wanted to know more.

I expected a lot of very specific data that would be more technical than I wanted, so I was surprised to see that the information was fairly general. Surprisingly I found that the book did not really advance my knowledge of internet activity in any way that I could apply to our business. In addition, the author made many references to Hitwise, his employer, in this book in ways that didn't really enrich the material, at least in my opinion.

My recommendations to prospective readers is this: if you are a person who is looking for a very broad view of who's online, when and perhaps why AND someone who really enjoys numbers and raw data, then you will probably enjoy this book.

Summary: Lessons in Learning How to Use Online Data for Market Research
    Rating: 3

Like many people who do market research, Bill Tancer loves data. He is also curious when tracking clicks on the Internet show trends that don't make a lot of surface sense . . . such as when searches for prom dresses zoomed in January. In this book, he gives examples of how measuring online activity can give you clues to seasonality, how other media affect Internet behavior, how fads can be tracked and anticipated, and who will win votes and popularity contests.

The book is really about competitive intelligence, the vantage point that Mr. Tancer has as general manager at online competitive intelligence firm Hitwise. That's the book's weakness from two perspectives:

1. Mr. Tancer knows very little about market research (and sometimes little about the subjects he studies) so he has trouble getting past the noise to the cause-and-effect relationships.

2. He's very anxious for you to know what his firm does (it's a sort of long infomercial).

Unless you really want to learn about online competitive intelligence as done by Hitwise, you can skip this book.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/158214854/1401323049_-_Click_What_Millions_of_People_Are_Doing_Online_and_Why_it_Matters.pdf

bububu и judgefog нравится это.
  2. judgefog

judgefog

Регистр.:
    12 авг 2006
    Симпатии:
    dont forget to remove the space: _an d_

3. morfey2005

morfey2005

Регистр.:
    30 янв 2008
    Симпатии: